In order to be healthy and happy, it is important to learn to let go.
I have a banner in my office saying the words to the effect of : “it’s not so much who we loved, how we loved or what we accomplished in life, it’s how well we learned to let go.”
I really want to re-iterate that “letting go” can be really hard.
It requires a few steps when you break it down and hopefully I can show you those steps here.
1. Identify what you do and don’t like about your life/your relationships/people. Who and what do you need to let go of in order to have happiness and calm.
2. In order to forgive, let go or move on, we need to have anger first. Many people think this is a weakness and an emotion that should be covered up, ignored or hidden but anger is a great guiding beacon.
What and who makes you angry?
Write these down.
3. Write a letter of anger to these people/events
Start with ” Dear XXX you will sit down and you will not say a word. When you do this I felt/feel this….”
Let it spill out on the pages. It may only be a paragraph or it may be a long long letter. When I did this I consciously thought I only had 2 people that I was angry with, but soon discovered 32 letters on, that a few people had made me angry (including my mum who died when I was 12 years old)!
4. Once the letters are written you can burn them, tear them up, throw them in the bin. It’s up to you. Once they are written they have served their purpose.
5. Give your self permission to forgive. Now that has been done, it is important to forgive the situation, the person. It’s ashame stuff gets said, stuff happens but it does! Is there any purpose in hanging onto it any more. NO.
6. Now let go. Just let go, let it be and move on.
I would love to hear your comments. This stuff is BIG. Very liberating and is the only way to true happiness and health. And I might add, that throughout life, it is important to do it regularly, just like cleaning out the pantry.